Note: we do not assist with tax arrears/debt/compliance services, nor do we assist with monthly/annual submissions of tax.
Registration of a company or sole proprietorship
If you need to register a company or sole proprietorship in Kenya, CONTACT US for assistance.
Once you have obtained your Entry Permit/ Pass and Alien I.D, you are required to apply for a Personal Identification Number (PIN) from the Kenya Revenue (or tax) Authorities (KRA).
What is a PIN?
A PIN is a Personal Identification Number used while doing business with Kenya Revenue Authority, other Government agencies and service providers.
Types of PINs include Personal (individuals) and artificial persons (i.e. company, club, Trust, etc.)
A sole proprietorship will use the proprietor’s individual PIN for all transactions.
Who should have a PIN?
You are required to have a PIN if you;
- Are employed
- Are in business
- Have rental income
- Want to perform any of the transactions listed below
When can I use the KRA PIN?
The most popular transactions that require PIN include:
- Registration of title, stamping of instruments by the Commissioner of Lands, and payment of Land Rent.
- Approval of plans, payment of water deposits, application for a business permit, payment of Land Rent by Local Authorities.
- Registration of Motor Vehicles, and licensing under the Traffic Act (Cap 403) by the Registrar of motor Vehicles.
- Registration of Business Names and Companies by the Registrars of Business names and companies.
- Trade licensing by the Ministry of Commerce.
- Application for Value Added Tax registration.
- Underwriting policies by Insurance Companies.
- To facilitate importation of goods, Customs clearing and forwarding at the offices of Commissioner of Customs and Excise.
- Payment of Deposits for power connections at Kenya Power and Lightning Co. Ltd.
- To facilitate all contracts for supply of goods and services to all Government Ministries and Public bodies.
How to Retrieve your PIN
You can only apply for a PIN once you have received your Alien ID Card and once your Alien ID details have successfully been loaded into KRA’s database (this is done by KRA and not the applicant).
PIN applications can be made at the following link; https://itax.kra.go.ke/KRA-Portal/
If you begin application for a PIN and you receive a message saying, “Details entered for Alien ID and Date of Birth are not matching with our records of Alien Registry data in iTax.”, this means that KRA has not yet uploaded your Alien ID details into their iTax database.
To get help with application for your PIN, consult with the Accountant at your place of work. If you do not have an Accountant/ Tax Consultant in place, we can also assist with your PIN application. A PIN application takes about 20 minutes to complete and at the end, you will be given the option to print your PIN certificate. At that point, login details for your new online iTax account will also be emailed to the email address used in your PIN application.
At this time you will also need to register for your NHIF/ NSSF applications if applicable. Consult with the Accountant at your place of work for more details. Otherwise, we can also assist with the above.